The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step. Weight loss and carb counting seem to go hand and hand, but why? For the average person looking to get in shape cleaning up your eating habits is the best first step to take!
Now, where to begin? It is easy to get loss down the rabbit hole that is the Internet. Sifting through all that content attempting to filter out the snake oil salesmen. Before you dive head first into a brand new shiny weight loss diet. It can be stressful attempting to digest all the content online and in magazines. Lets take a step back, take a deep breath; everything is going to be great!
Let’s begin by thinking about the contents of your meal. By that I mean when you look at the ingredients what colors do you see? Hopefully, your answer is a colorful pallet of reds, yellows, blues, and all the colors in-between. If not, then that is a great place to start: colorful fruits and yummy veggies!
Fruits and Vegetables contain phytonutrients (also known as phytochemicals).
Phytonutrients don’t just give plants their color but also helps protect them. Eating these colorful fruits and vegetables you too can enjoy these benefits!
When planning your next meal think about these colors:
- Blue or purple: flavonoids (antioxidant and anti-inflammatory)
- Blueberries, blackberries and red cabbage
- Yellow or Orange: beta-carotene (body converts to vitamin A)
- Carrots, winter squash, papaya, and melon
- Red or Pink: lycopene (helps prevent heart disease)
- Tomatoes, guava, and watermelon
- Green: chlorophyll (promotes healing, decreases redness and swelling)
- Kale, spinach, and collard greens
- Off-white: Indoles (associated with cancer prevention)
- Garlic, onions, and leeks